They're Creepy and they're Kooky, Mysterious and Spooky, they're all together Oooky. "The Adams Familly"!







background

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cake decorating fiasco!


So I have taken on the task of decorating a cake for our Relief Society birthday party for a "cake Decorating Contest" am I crazy? Yes! I am. I baked the cake on Tuesday night and followed the guidance of a great friend Cindy(a.k.a "Professional cake decorator") to coat the pan with cooking spray and not flour. Well the cake baked nicely and I let it cool. Then the first of many scary parts of decorating a cake "Flipping the cake onto the platter or tin foil covered cardboard". So I flipped and to my surprise nothing came out, well of course pure panic came over me with a desperate call to Cindy to tell me what to do. "That's easy! Flip the pan back over and carefully scrape away the edges from the pan". So I tried that and again Flip! wait..... still nothing. So she than says" it will come out bang the top a little and let it cool a little more." "If some of the cake does not come out you can pick it out of the pan and place it where it goes than when you you freeze it, it will stick together." "But Cindy, I wont have all of my outline lines!" (I know you can here the panic in my voice right about now). "Oh Stephanie I never use the lines when I decorate!" " I know Cindy but you are a professional , me, not so much." Well yes we eventually got the cake out of the pan and pieced together so that I can see most of the lines. Cake went into the Freezer.
Last night when I got home I cleaned up the house a little then about 6:30 I was onto the second scariest thing about decorating a cake:"Frosting the cake". things went ok kind of. I had some pretty major issues with putting a white edge around the entire cake and after about an hour of doing just this I said forget it I'm not waisting more time just on my edge. Now Cindy puts a cute edge around the bottom of the cake with some swirly looking things, but I have yet to developed that talent. So I decided to use a flower tip instead which was much easier. Well after 3 hours of frosting the project was finally finished! For sure not Cindy quality but ok for me. I hate having to cut into especially after so much work but I guess that is what i get.
Hopefully with more practice I can become faster. I will post pictures tomorrow I couldn't take pictures because I was out of batteries for my camera.
Lesson Learned: Do not make a cake for a contest until you are a Professional like Cindy!
P.S. Thank you Cindy for all of your help including the use of the pan!

1 comment:

Celisse said...

Drama, drama, drama...LOL! Oh man, that is why I forego these crafty contests. Don't forget to post pictures!